Paying Traffic Fines Without Appearing in Court

If your traffic ticket states “No Court Appearance Required,” follow these procedures to pay your fines and avoid a court appearance.


  1. You may plead guilty, or plead guilty and ask for supervision. Supervision is explained below. To determine the correct amount of payment:
    a. for guilty plea, see the back of traffic ticket, under the “Guilty Plea” section
    b. for guilty plea and request for supervision, scroll down to Supervision Fines When ‘No Court Appearance Required’


  2. If you send the required payment but do not print, sign and mail to the Circuit Clerk the Supervision Plea provided below, or the guilty plea on the back of your traffic ticket, your fine will be accepted as a guilty plea without supervision.


  3. Wait five (5) business days from the date of your arrest to send payment so your ticket reaches the Circuit Clerk’s office. Payment may be made any time before your hearing date on the front of your ticket near the bottom.


  4. If you pay by a check that is later returned by the bank, you will be charged a $25 check return fee and a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Additionally, if you are eligible to receive supervision and your check is bad, supervision will automatically be changed to a conviction that is reported to the Secretary of State and will appear on your driving record.

If you would like to pay online by credit card click here.


Print and Sign either:

  1. the Plea of Guilty – Court Supervision form attached if requesting supervision or

  2. the guilty plea on the back of the ticket.

Mail the signed plea to:
Circuit Clerk – Room 108
155 North Main Street
Edwardsville, IL 62025.

Make check payable to Madison County Circuit Clerk.  Do enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of your driver’s license or bail bond card, if one of these has been posted.



Bring the signed court copy of your traffic ticket to any Madison County Circuit Clerk’s office:

  Madison County Circuit Clerk
  155 N. Main Street; Room 108
  Edwardsville, IL  62025

Madison County Circuit Clerk
Alton Law Enforcement Center
1700 E. Broadway
Alton, IL  62002
Note:  Do not accept credit or debit at this location

Office hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.

What Is Supervision and Who Is Eligible?

Anyone over 18 years of age who is charged with a traffic ticket that states on the bottom “No Court Appearance Required” and who has not received supervision for a moving violation within 12 months of the date of offense. If under 21, you must also successfully complete traffic-safety class. If under 18, you cannot receive supervision online or by mail. Instead, you must appear in court with a parent or guardian and successfully complete traffic-safety class. Sign up for class at (618) 468-5715, or (618) 530-5299.

If you enter a plea of guilty and the Court grants supervision, and if you comply with the terms of the conditions of supervision, you will not have a conviction on your record. (Generally, supervision requires that you must not commit another offense during your term of supervision, which is usually for 90 days. Other conditions and terms may be set by Court.)

If you posted cash bond identify the amount that applies to your case, subtract the amount of cash bond you posted if any, and send the difference of the two amounts as your payment. DO NOT SEND CASH. SUPERVISION FINES WHEN ‘NO COURT APPEARANCE REQUIRED’.

(Charges must be paid on or before the first court date you are assigned)


If you would like to pay online by credit card click here.

For speeds up to and including 25 mph over the limit . .  . . . . .$164.00 
For failure to wear your seat belt . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . $164.00 
For all other “no court appearance required” charges . .. . . .. . .$164.00 
(Penalties assessed in Court may be higher than those listed above)

Phone Payment
If you would like to make a payment over the phone, they are open Monday - Friday form 8 AM - 5PM.   You will need to know your case number(s) so that it can be applied properly.  Use this link to search for your name and find case number(s), if you do not have the information. 
The number to call is 866-511-2892