Marriage Equality FAQs

Debra D. Ming-Mendoza Clerk's Office

Where do we get our marriage license?

Can we apply for our marriage license online or by mail?

How much does a marriage license cost?

What paperwork do we need to get our marriage license?

If a previous marriage or civil union was dissolved by divorce, what information must I provide?

What happens to civil unions?

How do we convert our civil union to a marriage?

If we're happy with our civil union, do we have to switch to a marriage?

We had our civil union in a different county but plan to get married in Madison County. Will the fee still be waived?

If we live in a different state, can we get a marriage license in Madison County?

We were already married in another state that allows same-sex marriage. Do we need to get another license in Illinois or have a ceremony in Illinois?

When can we get a copy of our marriage certificate?

Who can officiate a marriage?

What do we need to do to get married by a judge?

Can we get married in a church, synagogue or other house of worship?

What if we want to change our names after we're married?