NEW - CLOSED LOOP WELLS - NEW
Permits are issued for all new, modified, or sealed closed loop well construction. There is a $100.00 permit fee for up to 5 holes and an additional $20 per hole after 5 holes. Inspections are conducted of all well for construction.
PDF Downloads & Resources
POTABLE WATER SUPPLY PROGRAM
The goal of the Potable Water Supply Program is to protect groundwater from contamination, prevent citizens from contracting or transmitting waterborne disease, and to ensure proper well construction of private water supplies.
Permits are issued for all new well construction. There is a $100.00 well permit fee. Inspections are conducted of all new wells for construction and sampled for Total Coliform bacteria and nitrates. Routine water analysis conducted by the Illinois Department of Public Health lab are interpreted and disbursed to well owners from the Health Department. Complaints about abandoned wells, etc. are investigated. Consultations and Real Estate Inspections are conducted upon request. Madison County Health Department is an Agent for Illinois Department of Public Health to monitor all Non- Community Public Water Supplies within the county.
How To Disinfect A Private Water Well
- Madison County Potable Water Ordinance (PDF)
- Well Construction Permit (PDF)
- Well Sealing Form (PDF)
- Installation Report for Well Water Pumps (PDF)
- Disinfection Instructions for Water Wells
- Nitrates in Drinking Water
- Gardening in Your Wellhead Protection Area
- Illinois State Water Survey - Public Service Lab
- CDC Drinking Water Information