Building codes are necessary to ensure the safe construction and occupancy of buildings. Prior to commencing construction, a contractor is required to apply for a building permit and submit plans of the proposed project.
Once the plans have been reviewed and a permit has been issued, the contractor may start construction. A building inspector will check progress at selected milestones to ensure that all codes are adequately met.
The Building & Zoning Department administers the International Building Code for construction in the unincorporated areas of Madison County. The following codes have been adopted:
- 2012 International Building Code
- 2012 International Residential Code
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2005 National Electrical Code
- 2012 International Fire Code
Building permits must be applied for in person at the Building & Zoning Department counter.
Click here for Building Permit Application & Fee Schedule