Interim and/or Emergency Veterans' Financial Assistance

VAC Screening Button

Who Can We Assist:

Interim and/or Emergency Veterans’ Financial Assistance provides payments towards the bare necessities of life and community supports that promote the mental and physical well-being of Veterans, Service Members, their immediate families, and the communities in which they reside.

If you are NOT a Madison County, IL resident and you are looking for services or help in your geographical area, please contact Illinois Joining Forces at 833-463-6453 or click here to complete a Assistance Request Form.

If you are a Homeless or are at risk of losing your housing, please contact the Madison County, IL Coordinated Entry and Homeless Prevention Hotline at 618-296-5300 to complete their intake and assistance screening.

The Coordinated Entry and Resources for Homeless and Homeless Prevention Services are NOT administered by the VAC. Homeless and Homeless Prevention Services and Resources for Veterans are administered locally by Chestnut Health Systems via the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program and Federally by the St. Louis VA Health Care System via Health Care for Homeless Veterans.

Those in need of Financial Assistance may complete the above Veterans' Financial Assistance Request Form
and/or click here to download and complete a paper financial assistance application and return it to the VAC using any of the methods listed below:

Mail or In-Person: 157 N. Main St. - Suite 115. Edwardsville, IL 62025-1963

All walk-ins for Financial Assistance will be asked to complete the above Financial Assistance Request Form and a paper Financial Assistance application onsite and/or upon request be provided one to fill out and return it when complete using any of the methods listed above.

Applicants who may have a hard time completing the above Financial Assistance Request Form and/or the paper Financial Assistance application will be assisted by calling or visiting our office.

Once a Financial Assistance Request Form and/or a paper application is submitted and received, we will reach out to you directly to discuss your request and to schedule a screening appointment as appropriate.

Submitting a Financial Assistance Request Form or paper application is NOT a determination of eligibility and additional information and documentation will be required to properly evaluate and render a decision. 

6 Phases of Veterans Financial Assistance:

  1. Financial Assistance Screening Request and/or Application Received
  2. Contact Made and Initial Review with Requestor
  3. Documentation and Evidence Gathering and Review
  4. Screening Appointment with Requestor (As Appropriate)
  5. Notice of Decision
  6. Close-out and Voucher Processing

Assistance Types:

Veterans Financial Assistance is as outlined below and both are INCOME and NEEDS based. Financial Assistance is not designed to be ongoing financial support over any considerable time.

  1. Short-term Interim Veterans Assistance (IVA) is while you're waiting for a more longer-term/permanent assistance such as Social Security and/or VA Benefits (Compensation and Pension) to start or applicant will be returning to the workforce and may not receive 1st check for several weeks. Assistance amount is based on Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) Standard of Need.

  2. Emergency Veterans Assistance (EVA) is for applicants with an income source who experience an emergency beyond their control which leads to a sudden loss of income resulting in their inability to pay for their basic needs. EVA is One-Time assistance meant to get applicant through a qualified emergency and eligibility is based on income and need. Assistance amount is currently based on 200% Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guidelines.

Basic Need Categories are Currently Defined as:

  • Bus Tokens for Madison County, IL Transit to get to and from scheduled VAC appointments and employment throughout Madison County, IL until 1st pay check or a MCT Free Ride/Half-Fare ID Application is received
  • Electric, Gas and Propane/Heating Fuel - Funds are NOT available for new utility service connections
  • Food - If not already receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Limited Lifetime Property Tax Assistance to Avoid Default and/or Tax Sale which could result in housing instability and/or homelessness.
  • Personal Hygiene - Soaps/Detergents, Toiletries, Cleaning Supplies, etc.
  • Pet Food
  • Rent and Mortgage Assistance - Funds are NOT available for Down Payments and 1st/Last Month Payments
  • Water, Sewer and Trash - Funds are NOT available for new utility service connections
  • Other categories as may be approved by the Superintendent
If you are currently receiving other financial assistance to assist in covering your basic needs, then assistance cannot be duplicated or provided. For example, if your already receiving a particular form of assistance such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), we cannot provide assistance for that category. Those already on subsidized or income based housing cannot receive duplicate housing assistance.

Any applicant approved for Veterans Financial Assistance will be required to apply for other temporary and permanent forms of assistance and other services deemed appropriate that maybe available and administered by other agencies. In addition, those qualified will be required to show proof of application for all temporary and permanent assistance and other services directed to apply for.

Veterans Financial Assistance offered through the Madison County VAC is funded using local tax levy funds and is NOT to be misconstrued with General Assistance and Public Aid. Applying for Veterans Financial Assistance does not prohibit applicants from seeking aid and assistance elsewhere.

Other forms of assistance maybe available that are administered via other departments, agencies, private businesses and/or not-for-profits for which applicants can apply.

Applicants who are able to sustain gainful employment with or without disability compensation must work with Madison County, IL Employment and Training and be in compliance with their applicable rules and regulations.

Applicants claiming that they are unable to work must apply for Social Security Disability and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or other qualified VA Benefit such as Compensation or Pension. While awaiting a decision, applicants must have a physician’s note describing their disability, any limitations and/or restrictions, and a release and/or the anticipated recovery time with a return-to-work date.

Veterans Financial Assistance can only be applied to bills in the Veterans, Spouses (If married), Surviving Spouses, Widows of a Veteran or an Adult Disabled Child of a Veteran who was disabled prior to the age of 18 and who are Madison County, IL residents.

All approved Veterans Financial Assistance is voucher based and paid directly to vendors, landlords, mortgage companies, utility companies, etc. A W9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) is required in order to process any assistance with such vendors and we will work to obtain those when and as needed.

No assistance can be paid to family members, relatives or friends/acquaintances, for example Rent cannot be paid to someone the applicant/s are staying with for which they are not responsible for and listed on valid bills.

A complete application with supporting documentation is required prior to any assistance being administered.


Non-Qualification Information:

  • Reserve/National Guard with a Release from Active Duty for Training (Basic and Advanced)
  • Applicants receiving assistance from other governmental agencies (i.e., federal, state, county, or township programs)
  • Applicants who refuse to apply for other permanent forms of assistance available from other local, state and federal agencies
  • Applicants who fail or refuse to supply supporting information or documents needed to administer assistance
  • Applicants who are able to sustain gainful employment with or without disability compensation and refuse to work with partner employment and training agencies most notably Madison County, IL Employment and Training.
  • Full or part-time students in receipt of the GI-Bill or other financial aide and/or on break unless needs arise due to an emergency, such as a declared disaster
  • Applicants who have more income than expenses to cover their basic needs
  • Applicants who are eligible and choose not to be buried in a VA national cemetery
Typical Documents Needed to Apply for Financial Assistance and/or Verify Income and Need:

  • Military Discharge Papers - DD-214/s from the most recent Period of Honorable Military Service
  • Driver's License/State ID/ VA ID
  • W9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification)
  • Proof of Madison County, IL Residency
  • All Sources of Income in the applicants/co-applicants name (Last 30 Days)
  • Current Month Unpaid Bills in the applicants/co-applicants name
  • Checking and Savings Account Statements in in the applicants/co-applicants name (Last 30 Days)
  • Valid Rental/Lease Agreement in the applicants/co-applicants name
  • Mortgage Statement in the applicants/co-applicants name
  • Property Tax Coupons and/or Property Tax Sale Invoice/Statement
  • Shut-off/Disconnect Notice and/or Eviction/Foreclosure Notice
  • Household Expenses (Income cannot exceed basic need expenses for the last thirty (30) days)
  • Out-of-pocket Medical Expenses paid within the last thirty (30) days (i.e., deductibles, co-pays, co-insurance, prescriptions, etc.)
  • Investment Statements where significant savings/assets are involved (i.e., IRA's, 401k's, CD's, etc.)
  • All other information and documentation as needed and requested to determine eligibility and need

Contact Us:

If you are or know of a local Veteran, Veteran Family, Unremarried Widow, or Surviving Spouse of a Veteran or an Adult Disabled Children of a Veteran who was disabled prior to the age of 18 in need of assistance or services, please contact the Veterans' Assistance Commission (VAC) at 618-296-4554 or via email at

Crisis Response:

The VAC is NOT a Crisis Response Agency or Medical Provider. See below to contact a Crisis Response Agency.

Any Veterans in Active Crisis or in need of immediate Medical Attention should call 911, go to the nearest Emergency Room and/or call 988 to reach the National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.